University Area Commission Elections Committee Meeting Notes
Saturday, August 2, 2014 3-?4:30pm
Office of Keller Williams Classic Properties (due to necessity of a Saturday meeting)
252 W. 5th Ave, Columbus OH 43201
Discussion of number of seats up for Election
– District 1: 2 seats (Jim Bach, Lucas Dixon)
– District 2: 2 seats (Gena Shelton, Seth Golding)
– District 3: 3 seats (Joyce Hughes, Brandyn McElroy, Jennifer Mankin)
– District 4: 1 Seat (Charles Robol)
– There are varying terms available depending on those seats/terms that are currently filled. Appointed and nominated seats are due for a new 2 year term. There are a total of 8. Letters to go out to the appointed commission’s organizations and a letter to solicit nominations for the 3 nominated seats of Development/apartment, Church/Social Services and Business.
Election Packets -?Discussion of any necessary changes to update elections packets such as dates and general information. David Hegley and Sharon Young to do updates. Election packets to be posted on the UAC website and some hardcopies will be available.
Logistics – it was discussed what dates the 2 opportunities to vote were going to be and how many
locations. During discussion, it was brought up that the 1st Saturday in November was a home
evening OSU game. It was planned to have the last Wednesday in October voting at the Northside
Library (Ethan to check and reserve the room) and the Northwood Building (can be inside or out).
Sharon was to correspond with Matt Hansen at UDO to see about the Northwood location for November
1st. In checking, the Northwood Building would be closed that day and no parking available. Ethan Hanson was to check with his brother who is opening an eatery in the former Talita’s location at Arcadia and High to see if that might be available as there is parking and it will be early enough in
the day. The group also decided to see about the availability of the Godman Guild for the 2nd location
for November 1 as there are 3 seats up for elections in District 3.
Times and dates of Voting
- Wednesday, October 29th, 5-?8PM, Northwood and High Building and the Northside Library
- Saturday, November 1st, 10-?4PM – Arcadia and High location (southeast corner) and the Godman Guild at 6th and 6th.
All commissioners not running for elected office will be asked to take on a task for elections.
We will be recruiting neighborhood volunteers. October 29th polling location at Northside Library
will be manned by Susan Keeny and David Hegley, we will be recruiting other commissioners and
volunteers for a shift.
Publicity and other tasks – Some of this will be taken on by Community Relations Committee.
The Legal/Public notice for the Columbus Dispatch will run on a weekday to save money.
Sharon to submit the notice for that. We will also post at the Northside Library. Other
posts/flyer will be for the Elections and getting candidates, along with another flyer
to address the locations & dates.
Submitted – S. Young, Elections Committee