University Area Commission Motion To Change By Laws
First Reading of Proposed Changes As Described Below July 20, 2016
Note: In the proposed changes, proposed removals are in strikethrough text, and proposed additions are in bold text.
Motion made in Governance Committee 7/6/16: Motion to change UAC By Law Article II, Section 4:
- Vacancies shall be filled as follows:
- If a vacancy occurs in a district seat on the Commission because of resignation, death, disqualification, or other means, the Corresponding Secretary shall give public notice of the vacancy at least thirty (30) days before the date on which the Commission will vote to recommend a candidate to fill the vacancy. After providing an opportunity for persons interested in filling the vacancy to indicate their interest to the Commission, the Commission shall vote according to article I section 7 to select a candidate to fill the vacancy until the next Annual Meeting.
- Notice of a vacancy shall be given in the agenda, given to each unsuccessful candidate, including write-in candidates, from that district in the last election and shall be made to the public.
- At the next Annual Election, a member shall also be elected to complete the unexpired term in accord with Article VI of these By Laws.
- If a vacancy occurs in an organization or group seat on the Commission because of resignation, death, disqualification, or other means, the Corresponding Secretary shall give notice to the organization or group to fill the vacancy in the same manner as set forth in Article II, Section 1(b) and 1(c), to serve until the next Annual Meeting.
- If a vacancy occurs in an organization seat as defined in 1(b), the Corresponding Secretary shall give notice to the organization to appoint someone to serve the remainder of that term.
- If a vacancy occurs in a group seat as defined in 1(c), the Corresponding Secretary shall issue a public call for nominations from organizations defined in 1(c). The Commission will vote on nominees at the Commission meeting immediately following the public announcements, and the accepted nominee(s) will serve the remainder of that term.
C d. The Corresponding Secretary shall send written notice of the candidate endorsed by the Commission to the Office of the Mayor and the Department of Development, pursuant to c.c. 3109.08.
- Simply the process to fill vacant Organization and Group seats on the Commission.
Motion made in Governance Committee 7/6/16: Motion to change UAC By Law Article IV, Section 1:
- Elections shall be held on the first and third Wednesday preceding the first Saturday in November and again on the first Saturday in November of each year. All elections shall be secret ballot. Elections shall be determined by plurality vote.
- To better facilitate procuring voting locations
- Easier to get staffing
- Avoid voting on football Saturdays