University Area Commission | Governance Committee Report
Meeting Details: Wednesday January 6 2016, Northwood and High Building, Started 6:05 PM and Ended 7:04 PM
Attendance: (P: Present, A: Absent, E: Excused, G: Guest, R: Resigned) Sharon Young (P), Doreen Uhas-Sauer(P), Colin Odden (P) Jennifer Mankin (R), Steve Volkmann (P), Kate Neithammer (R), Michael Sharvin (P) and David Hegley (P)
- Reviewed proposed changes to the Speaker slip and made final adjustments. Motion was made by Commissioner Volkmann and Seconded by Commissioner Odden. Voting in favor of the Motion (Commissioners Young, Uhas-Sauer, Odden, Volkmann, Sharvin and Hegley) Motion passed unanimously.
- Form was adopted
- Began a review of the Election Committee report
- Recommendation that we survey recent candidates (All those who ran in the last 2 years)
- There were several questions considered for the survey, but the general consensus was to leave it an open ended essay format asking the respondents to say what they thought worked well and areas the Commission could improve on with the election process.
- Another key item brought up was that the polling locations should be set prior to the election packets being created and the locations should be included on the cover letter that accompanies the election packet.
- It was also suggested that we try to make the forms a PDF format that would allow the candidates to type their information on the form.
- If possible we would like to investigate having some of the forms completed on line as well to capture the data electronically so we don’t have to retype it later when posting the information on-line
- Discussion began on possibly making the Election Committee a standing Committee like other Committees like Governance or Planning.
- This would require a bylaw change, so further discussion on this will be passed to the next Governance Committee.
Next meeting is planned as a Super Committee Meeting on February 3, 2016 at 6:00 PM in Room 100 of the Northwood & High Building for all Commissioner members to plan what the Commission should take on this coming year. Actual Committee meetings will then begin in March.
David Hegley, Chairperson